I thought I would write a quick article about sellings do’s and don’ts of craigslist.com. These are my opinions. I have been selling on craigslist for a LONG time. I know what works. Use these guidelines and you will have no problem selling your items on craigslist fast.
1. Take good photographs. You have no idea how many times I have seen items on craigslist with bad photos. Nowadays with smart phones, tablets and computers, there is absolutely no excuse. When someone looks at your ad, you want them to have a pleasant experience. You don’t want them unsure of what you’re selling. Take a good photograph. It’s not that hard to turn on some lights and maybe adjust the exposure of your camera. Photographs that are dark and out of focus can guarantee that you won’t sell the item quickly. You may even have people come see the item and don’t want it because it looks different then they thought it would. Just take a good photo. Take a photo that you would want to see in the ad. AND please do not use a stock item. Don’t be lazy.
2. Good description. This is another thing I see all the time. The seller has a good photograph but spent literally two seconds on the description. Something like “good condition. must see”. Do you think a serious buyer wants to waste his time writing you an email asking you questions about the item? No. Just spend 10 minutes and be descriptive. You’re gonna have to write it anyway in an email once people start emailing you about it. Why not do it once? Include things like how long have you owned it and if you’re the original ower, is anything wrong with it, is there something missing, would the person need a car because its heavy, if it still has warranty, why is the item special, etc… Just be as descriptive as possible. People want to see an ad that has all the information on it. They will trust you more and you will sell the item quickly.
3. Dont lie. This one is obvious but I’ve gone to purchase items and it’s a totally different item then what was listed. If a person is coming to buy an item from you, they probably know a thing or two about it. Don’t lie. It makes you seem like a nut. Believe it or not, people on craigslist talk. You could get a bad reputation and you’ll be unable to sell items. Just don’t do it. In the end, you will lose.
4. Have things prepared. If a potential buyer is coming to buy your item, have it ready. You don’t want the buyer to be standing in your living room while you look for the box to put the item in. If the buyer wants to test the item, have it ready for him/her to test.
5. Clean it. Spend a couple minutes and wipe down the item. Specially if it’s been sitting around for a while. I’ve seen so many dusty monitors, laptops, tablets, phones, etc. on craigslist. No one is going to want to buy them. Take 2 mins. Wipe it down!
6. Be Patient and be nice. You want your customers to have a pleasant experience. Be kind. Answer their questions patiently. You will be reward by the sell of your item.
I’ll post the do’s and don’t's of buying. Yes! There are guidelines so you won’t get ripped off!